Wednesday, June 22, 2011

BBQ - INDIRECT GRILLING

Indirect grilling is designed to cook larger or tougher foods that would burn if direct grilled but I do the majority of my grilling indirect. I just like putting it on the grill and not having to watch it.


Indirect grilling is used to cook large pieces of meat, like pork shoulders and whole chickens. It's also used to cook tough cuts of meat, like brisket and ribs, that require long, slow cooking at a low or moderate temp.


To indirect grill on a charcoal grill, the charcoal is on 1 side of the grill and the meat is on the other.  I always include a foil drip pan in my grill with water (and apple juice) to help put some moisture out there


I like my smoker to be like an outdoor oven so I keep the lid closed to hold in the heat as much as possible accept for mopping the meat, adding charcoal or whatever is necessary and then when I open the grill I will try to do everything at that time (mopping, adding charcoal etc.) so I don't have to keep opening the lid because that brings your temperature down.


You decide if you want to do direct or indirect grilling   
There's a picture below of me firing up my little smokey joe to do a few pieces :)

No comments:

Post a Comment